Whole Body Wellness is a healthy movement and healthy lifestyle class to support individuals during times when there are barriers to reaching wellness goals.
The weekly meetings include a group walk (weather permitting) to support participants in maintaining regular exercise routines, followed by a gentle yoga class. In yoga, participants learn skills for increasing awareness of barriers such as depression, anxiety and other internal factors that make achieving wellness goals difficult.
The weekly yoga class emphasizes very gentle strength-building movements that can support other healthy lifestyle changes. It can help participants lose weight; increase physical balance and strength; and sometimes reduce certain types of chronic pain.
Participants in Whole Body Wellness can experience health benefits such as:
- Improved physical strength, stamina, balance, and neurological functioning
- Increased awareness of unhelpful habits
- Improved self-esteem and self-efficacy
- Reduced mood disturbance, depression and anxiety
- Lower blood pressure and basal metabolic rate
- Greater stability in other physical symptoms such as pain management, blood glucose levels and blood pressure
- Better and more restful sleep
- Increased emotional and mental reserves for stressful times
- Reduced anxiety
- Improved ability to manage pain, illness and other physical health problems